Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Recipe Wednesday - Super Sloppy Joe's

 

In college I tried cooking some of Rachael Ray's recipes but I always found them too hard.  Too many ingredients that weren't common.  Maybe she could make those recipes in 30 minutes but it took me a LOT longer than that!  So I kind of gave up on her.  Until my aunt gave me her "Kid Food" cookbook for Christmas.  A few weeks ago I was looking for new recipes and I figured I might could find something in this cookbook so I pulled it out and I made Rachael's Super Sloppy Joe's.  And let me tell you, they were super!  We used to make Sloppy Joe's a lot in our first year of marriage when we were trying to stretch our grocery budget but it was always with the sloppy joe mix package from the store.  These homemade sloppy joe's were so good!  Please give this recipe a try, you won't regret it! (I couldn't find this recipe on her website but if anyone has the link please let me know!)

Super Sloppy Joe's

1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 lb Ground Beef (the leaner the better)
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 teaspoons Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick
1 medium Onion, chopped finely
1 small Red Bell Pepper, chopped finely
1 T Red Wine Vinegar
1 T Worcestershire Sauce
2 cups Tomato Sauce
2 T Tomato Paste
4 crusty rolls, split, toasted, and slightly buttered

1. Heat a large skilled over M/H head.  Add oil and beef to the pan, spreading it around to break it up.
2. Combine brown sugar and steak seasoning, then add to skillet and combine.
3. When meat has browned, add onion and red pepper.  Reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add vinegar, stirring briefly, then add Worcestershire, tomato sauce and tomato paste, stirring to combine.  Reduce heat to simmer and cook 5 minutes longer.
5. Serve on toasted buns

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails