Sunday, April 19, 2009

A tour of Charlotte's room

Now that Charlotte's room is completed in most of the "big things" I thought I'd give you a little tour!  So sit back and enjoy as I take you through her room and show you some of the special things that she has waiting for her!

This is the door to Charlotte's room.  It has this super cute, one of a kind, hand painted bib on the door that my Mom got one of her friends to make for Charlotte.  I was so excited when I opened the bib yesterday at the shower!  I had asked for some type of painting with Charlotte's monogram so that we could hang it on our hospital door but this turned out so much cuter than anything I could have imagined!  Thanks Mom and Lee!


Here's what you see when you walk into Charlotte's room.  The chest on the left is something that my grandparents got for me when I was little.  They put doors on the front of it because I said that I wanted something that my little brother couldn't get in to!  I thought that it would be special to use that in Charlotte's room.  I love our glider/rocker/recliner (and, obviously, so does Luca).  It is so comfy! I am looking forward to many special times spent feeding Charlotte in that chair.  

You'll notice that there is a quilt on the back of the chair.  This quilt was made by Jason's great-aunt Ruby.  She has breast cancer and made the quilt for Charlotte in her free time.  Please be praying for her.  What a special gift for Charlotte!

After hearing from friends and family I decided to stick with just one curtain panel for the time being in Charlotte's room.  It stretches all the way across the window and blocks out so much light that I think another panel would just be too bulky on that small window.  Also, I'm having too much fun with my monogram machine to go back to sewing plain curtains! :)



If you've read my blog for very long chances are that you've heard me talk about how much I love Kim Wheeler's work at Small Words.  I loved getting her "Fa La La" Christmas set for Christmas and it is so cute!  In this post I talk about the "Baby Mo" painting that you can see in Charlotte's room that my aunt got me for Christmas.  So my Mom's sisters got together and got Charlotte  her name painting for her room from Kim.  I was so excited when I opened it yesterday at the shower!  It is beautiful and matches perfectly! I love how the polka dots complement the fabric and don't over-do any one fabric that's already in the room.  Thanks Kim! The painting looks great!


And now we move on to the far wall.  Jason and I were talking this afternoon about how glad we are that we redid the closets in this room.  I don't know how frustrated I would be with the disorganization that the closets would be if we hadn't installed the  closet systems.  For someone as OCD as me they were worth every penny!  In the middle between the two closets is the aforementioned "Baby Mo" painting.  It will always be a reminder of how much we loved Charlotte even when we didn't know that she was a she and we called her "Mo".  Underneath the painting are beautiful pearl letters with her monogram that match the "C" that Kelly put on top of the diaper cake!

Her book shelves are still a work in progress but they have a lot more on them now.  The bear up top is now decked out in a tutu and we're slowly but surely adding to Charlotte's reading collection.  There are some "vintage" items on the bookshelves like the painting that Mom and Dad brought me back from California when I was in elementary school and the frog painting that I got when I was in high school and loved frogs.  I can't wait to add to the book shelves over the years and see what is important enough to Charlotte for her to place in them!

The wall opposite the crib is now really special.  We got the chest at the beach when we went in October.  We hadn't announced our pregnancy yet but were able to talk about it freely at the beach since we didn't know anyone there!  The cross above the light switch is something that Charlotte got at my office shower.  April gave Charlotte that cross with her initials on it and so it is so special.  

The neatest thing about this wall now though are the shadow boxes.  My Mom made some shadow boxes for my aunt Carrie when she was pregnant but I hadn't thought about them at all.  However, when Mom told me that she and Kay had put together a gift and Mom wanted Abby to help me open one of the packages so that we could see them both at the same time, I have to admit that I secretly hoped that she had put together shadow boxes for us.  And she and Kay did!

These shadow boxes are so special and are such a neat addition to the nursery.  Jason's has a Feltman Brothers outfit that he wore when he was little, some of his little shoes, his birth announcement, a lock of his hair from his first haircut, and a picture of him when he was little.  So cute!  My shadow box has a Feltman Brothers dress, a stuffed bear that my great grandmother (Granny) made for me, a receiving blanket that Mom's mom (Gramme) embroidered for me, hair from my first hair cut, my birth announcement, a bracelet, a ring with a "J" on it that used to be Granny's (her last name was Jackson) that she passed on to me, a ring with my birthstone in it, and a picture from me when I was little.  I can't tell you how much these two shadow boxes mean to us.  They are so special and something that we will treasure always!  To think of all of the love and time that went in to making them is just so special!  Thanks Mom and Kay!

In addition to Charlotte's room I wanted to share some other special items in her room.  

Something else that we got at the shower yesterday is this beautiful dress that Kay made for Charlotte.  With two boys she never really got the opportunity to make dresses and bonnets and I think she's enjoying her chance now!  She made this beautiful dress for Charlotte with a sweet slip and bonnet to match.  She also hand embroidered it with Charlotte's monogram!  It is beautiful and so sweet!  I can't wait to see Charlotte in it.  She also crocheted a blanket and sweater for Charlotte.  They are beautiful!

As you can probably tell, I love monograms and Charlotte's is already all over her room.  In her crib she has the beautiful monogrammed white pillow that the hostesses gave her yesterday.  Her bumper also has her monogram on it.  And then she also had the pillow that matches her bedding with her monogram on it!  In her crib she also has her first baby doll which Jason and I got for her.  We got it from Baby Be Blessed and got to "create" her ourselves.  We picked out all of the different fabrics and hair color and clothes.  The doll also has a name on her tummy that has Charlotte's name and a Bible verse.  The doll is so soft! We hope that she loves her and always remembers that her Mommy and Daddy got her her first doll.


So that's Charlotte's room as it looks right now!  I really love going and spending time in her room.  I can't wait to bring her home to it in a few short weeks!!

4 comments:

  1. Jenn,

    Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. The room is absolutely beautiful!

    I LOVE the shadow box idea. I'm going to have to remember that for future@

    Now you just need a little baby in that crib!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, the room looks perfect! Now it is all ready for sweet Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How adorable! I love her room and things so much! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails