Friday, July 23, 2010

New York City, Day 2

On Friday we slept late (at least we thought we did since we slept until about 9 am but then I realized that that's 8 am in AL so we actually got up at the same time!) and then walked a few blocks over to see Central Park and grab a healthy breakfast.  We had planned on walking downtown on 5th but we found that we were almost mid-way in the park and so the other side of the street was mostly residences so we headed back to walk down Madison and that's where the fun began!

We started going in some shops and found the Ralph Lauren store that was age appropriate for Charlotte.  We thought that it was so interesting that Ralph Lauren had a totally separate store for each age range.  The first one we walked in was children's clothes for elementary age kids.  But we eventually found the younger kids clothes and walked away with some great sale items for Charlotte!  In case you're keeping count with me the tally is now, Jason - 1 purchase, Charlotte - 1 purchase, me - no purchases. :)

We kept walking and saw some more shops like Cartier, Dolce and Gabbanna, and Versace but, don't worry, we didn't even go in any of them!  Then we found Joseph where I bought my first purchase -- a beautiful blue cocktail dress that was majorly on sale!  And then the day got even better when I saw Jimmy Choo was having a sale!  My sweet husband won my heart even more by buying me an early anniversary present of some adorable red flats!  One of the things that I LOVED was that everywhere was having end of season sales so we got some great deals on high end products.  Even though it was sooo hot this was a great time to come to New York if we wanted to shop -- which we did!

We continued to shop as we kept walking downtown towards Rockefeller Center.  When we got there we were so hot and tired so we sat down to eat at the Rock City Cafe in the bottom of Rockefeller Center.  It was a neat restaurant and we enjoyed getting to see the inside of the building.  We then went upstairs to look over what, in the winter, is the ice skating rink.

At that point we were at a point where we had to decide what to do.  Jason really wanted to see some of the building's in the city as well as shop on Friday and his two requested buildings were Rockefeller Center and the Empire State Building.  We made it to Rockefeller Center and then decided that we were only about 10 blocks away from the Empire State Building and I felt like I could make it.  So he chose to also see Grand Central Station on our way so we headed out to Grand Central Station.  We made it there and went in and Jason was impressed but at this point I was regretting my fortitude and just wanted to make it to the end and go back to the hotel.  So after a brief stop we walked down to the Empire State Building and walked in to the lobby.  It was packed so we quickly exited and grabbed a taxi back to our hotel.

We rested at the hotel for a little bit and cooled back down to a normal temperature before getting ready to enjoy Jason's Father's Day gift -- tickets to the Yankees!  Some of you might be wondering why the Yankees since you know that Jason is a die-hard Braves fan.  Really we didn't go for the Yankees, we went for the stadium and because I wanted to do something on the trip that I knew Jason would love.  Jason hadn't given me any Father's Day ideas but a few weeks after we booked our trip he mentioned that the Yankees would be in town.  In my typical fashion I immediately said no (due to some bad experiences like missed prom's and graduations I tend to be very jealous of baseball and the time it has stolen from our relationship) but I only said it so fast because now I knew what to get him for Father's Day.  When he opened the tickets he was shocked and I was really happy that he was so happy!

We had talked about taking a taxi or even getting a car to take us to the stadium because I really didn't want to get on the subway but the concierge at the hotel basically told us that the traffic would take forever and that it was very safe and much smarter to take the subway.  So we treked over to the nearest stop and changed trains once before making it to Yankee Stadium.  I have to say that the new stadium was beautiful and so nice.  Everything was brand new and clean and there were so many food options.  It was really a nice place.  We got to our seats which were AWESOME and enjoyed some pre-game food.  It was also an interesting night to be there because it was their first game back since Steinbrenner and Bob Shepperd had died so they had a big tribute for them before the game and there was no announcer for the game in memory of Bob Shepperd.  Jason really enjoyed the game and he made the call to leave once the game got tied in the 8th.  I really appreciated that because while I was keeping myself happy reading a book on my iPhone it was still miserably hot and I knew we had to take the subway back.  We ended up missing some of the craziness that went on in the 9th inning but we made it to the hotel in time for Jason to see it on tv so I think that was ok.

Inside Yankee Stadium

The view from our seats

In our seats

The front of the stadium as we left

Charlotte had another exciting Friday with Memme and Papa G.  We heard that there was lots of reading books and lots and lots of walking!





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails